Wednesday, March 19, 2014

OCD

Anyone who has spent any amount of time with me has probably noticed I have some OCD tendencies. Now my OCD doesn't manifest itself in the forms of turning the door handle 5 times to the left before locking it or setting my alarm to a time where the numbers don't add up to thirteen.
However when I find something I like, my obsessiveness begins.

Starbucks -When I had my first taste of the Venti Skinny Vanilla Latte specially crafted by the baristas at Starbucks back in 2002, an obsession began. I mapped out my work route precisely so that I would pass a Starbucks on the way. I started getting one on the way to and then another on the way from work. Then when I went to Boston (where they have a Starbucks on practically every street corner), I would get one and then get a second one even if I hadn't finished the one in my hand at the next Starbucks I saw, just in case I didn't see another Starbucks when my first latte was finished. On other trips, I've traveled ridiculous distances just to get my fix. I've purchase their coffee, their syrups, and even their Verissimo latte maker, yet nothing I make at home meets the perfection of the lattes I get in their stores.  I've tried to quit or find a cheaper replacement for the sake of my pocketbook, but it draws me like a moth to a flame. The best I can do is limit myself to several a week (unless I get a gift card as a present, and then let the overindulgence commence)!

COACH - My first Coach purse came from Marshall's. It was a small pink leather shoulder bag.  Ever since then, I've been seeking the stylish handbags in all shapes, fabrics, and sizes. A few years ago when Coach introduced their line of accessories, (perfume, shoes, scarves, sunglasses, and jewelry) I thought I might have to seek additional employment to quench my need for all things Coach. It is another obsession that drains my checking account every time I visit the outlet mall.

Right Angled Organization - Perhaps my strangest compulsion is having things at right angles. All items on my desk MUST be positioned at right angles - perpendicular to the edges of my desk. The tape dispenser, stapler, calendar, and writing instruments all remain or are returned to their correct position prior to working at my desk and upon leaving my desk. This odd behavior became a joke to my coworkers at one of my previous places of employment so much that people would sneak into my classroom when I wasn't there and move items on my desk just to drive me crazy.

Turquoise - My latest obsession is with all things turquoise. When I started thinking of how I wanted to decorate my new home, I knew I wanted there to be color. My ex-husband didn't like color, so our homes always had brown, tan, black, and gray (with the rare exception of a picture that included a hint of red).  Even our wedding was color-free. He didn't want the bridesmaids to wear colorful dresses - luckily we found silver gray dresses from The Loft that he approved of. The selecting of a cake was even MORE difficult. The only one he like had a black ribbon on it 😕. Really?!  We "compromised" by getting a solid white cake. It was very pretty, but it was the WORST cake I've ever tasted in my whole life - and I never pass up a piece of cake. The icing was fondant. It tasted like wax. Extremely disappointing for a cake connoisseur such as myself. I digress, I decided to make my accent color turquoise. Not only is it pretty and calming, it reminds me of the color of the ocean. So my obsession has resulted in the photos below.





3 comments: