Saturday, April 19, 2014

Specificity

Sometimes people make vague statements. This leads to a need for appropriate interpretation or a request for clarification of the statement.

I may need to request specificity on the following offers:

  • My neighbors said, "Feel free to use our pool whenever you want." My interpretation: They will not mind if they come home from work and I'm floating on my raft in their pool, or sunbathing on the surrounding patio. 
  • My parents said, "We are more than willing to help watch the kids whenever you need."  My interpretation: If I want to go shopping or on a weekend trip to Cancun, it's cool to say, "I need you to watch the kids this weekend."
  • The guys from my LifeGroup said, "Let us know if you need us to do anything around the house. Nothing is too big or too small."  My interpretation:  I need to have my lawn mowed and it's cool for me to ask them to do that. Also the lightbulb in my garage has burned out, they wouldn't mind if I asked them to come change it. 
  • My friends said, "Let me know if you want to go out or hang out anytime."  My interpretation:  Despite the fact that they have husbands and families, they would abandon them on a moments notice to entertain me. 
I like my interpretation of these open-ended offers, but something tells me I should probably get some clarification before I make assumptions. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment