Saturday, August 23, 2014

I might be lost . . .

Well it's been a long time since I've posted anything. This summer has brought a lot of new experiences for me as a single parent. Many of those experiences are a reminder of how I now have to do things that make me feel inadequate and out of place.

For example, today I'm at my daughter's soccer game.  We arrived 4 minutes before game time (they were supposed to be there 15-20 minutes early to practice).  Our tardiness was caused by several things; the game began at 8 a.m. and I had very poor sleep because my son woke up in the night from bad dreams and one of my daughter's friends accidentally FaceTimed me several times during the night.

Also her cleats were untied, her hair wasn't pulled back, I gave her a half full water bottle that I found in the car, and her breakfast was a donut from Starbucks. Now I can partially blame not having a spouse to help me with these details. Probably a bigger reason for my "fail" as a soccer mom, is that I'm "lost" in this role. I'm great at having all school related tasks taken care of, but the expectations of  sports and athletics are foreign to me.

Additionally I'm not a good sideline sport mom. I observe the game half-heartedly without knowledge of the score or what is happening. I don't yell instructions such as "Stay in your position. Go defense! Or nice kick!" I'm wearing platform sandals that are now covered in the wet grass of a freshly mowed soccer field. I have a 20 ounce latte despite the 90 degree heat. My makeup is melting, my black yoga capris are attracting the sun and causing every inch of my body south of my navel to sweat angrily. Also my freshly flat ironed hair is rapidly turning into a frizzy damp mess glued to my scalp.

I clearly look and most definitely feel out of place. This new "role" isn't going to end anytime soon, in fact I anticipate as the kids get older, I'll have more sporting events to attend. I'm going to have to get some pointers on how to be a better, sportier mom.


1 comment: